Friday 13 November 2015

Colour Iterations and Character Sheet

In the end, I decided to develop the overcoat iteration, leading me to try it with 4 different colours to see which one works the best. In the Georgian times, troops from neighboring countries may have looked the same but it was their colour that defined them from their enemies. I went for 4 very stereotypical colour schemes at that time so that the soldiers nation could easily be identified e.g. Red and White- Redcoat- British.

After that I began to think more about the story of The Tinderbox and how my Georgian character would interact inside it. I took the opening extract from the story and briefly highlighted parts of it so that I can visualize them on my character sheet:

 SOLDIER came marching along the high road: “Left, right—left, right.” He had his knapsack on his back, and a sword at his side; he had been to the wars, and was now returning home.
As he walked on, he met a very frightful-looking old witch in the road. Her under-lip hung quite down on her breast, and she stopped and said, “Good evening, soldier; you have a very fine sword, and a large knapsack, and you are a real soldier; so you shall have as much money as ever you like.”
“Thank you, old witch,” said the soldier.
“Do you see that large tree,” said the witch, pointing to a tree which stood beside them. “Well, it is quite hollow inside, and you must climb to the top, when you will see a hole, through which you can let yourself down into the tree to a great depth. I will tie a rope round your body, so that I can pull you up again when you call out to me.”
“But what am I to do, down there in the tree?” asked the soldier.
“Get money,” she replied; “for you must know that when you reach the ground under the tree,

“Have you got the tinder-box?” asked the witch.
“No; I declare I quite forgot it.” So he went back and fetched the tinderbox, and then the witch drew him up out of the tree, and he stood again in the high road, with his pockets, his knapsack, his cap, and his boots full of gold.
“What are you going to do with the tinder-box?” asked the soldier.
“That is nothing to you,” replied the witch; “you have the money, now give me the tinder-box.”
“I tell you what,” said the soldier, “if you don’t tell me what you are going to do with it, I will draw my sword and cut off your head.”
“No,” said the witch.
The soldier immediately cut off her head, and there she lay on the ground. Then he tied up all his money in her apron. and slung it on his back like a bundle, put the tinderbox in his pocket, and walked off to the nearest town

http://www.hca.gilead.org.il/tinderbx.html extract taken form Hans Christian Andersen’s: The Tinderbox

In this particular instance, I have made the which an anonymous
form of evil that the soldier would have to fight in the video game to pass through to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment